Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holidays????????



So, lately Christmas has been a major topic of discussion at our house. We really don't celebrate it, but in past tears we have always gotten the boys a gift a piece. This year seems to be a bit different though. DJ and Cam are older and they're being sucked into the marketing machine that is the holiday season. They want a tree, and stockings and ten thousand presents that they probably don't deserve.

I feel bad that I'm not allowing them to really participate, as I do have fond memories of trimming trees and presents from my Grandma's, but I just can't do it. No tree and no stockings here, it's totally against who I am. Now, I can see myself bending on the gift thing. I mean who doesn't like to buy their kids stuff and see their little faces when they open them up. Damon doesn't want to spend a ton of money though (that goes against who he is), but I'm hoping he'll have a change of heart by the end of the week.

Here's the shopping list thus far:

DJ- Sonic learning game for his Didj, complete series of Roscoe Riley's Rules Books, and a big Bakugun.

Cam-New Leapster game, sight word early reader books, and a big Bakugun.

Evan-Exercauser, and I don't know what else?????

4 comments:

Trying to be a better person today than I was yesterday. said...

I'm with you..I can't get with the X-mas thing, and I don't even have kids!

Baby's family said...

Enjoy time with your family and that will be worth it all.

The Lils said...

I understand the and I say stick to your guns. We ditch all that marketing garbage too- no tree, santa and stockings for us. We celebrate Christmas as it was intended to be celebrated focusing on the birth of Christ. You can make your start a new family tradition.

Erica said...

I hear you, and I celebrate Christmas. This country is Christmas crazy - the amount of money people spend on trees and cards and lights and presents could be put to much better uses.

Go with your gut. Little kids want everything, but they will appreciate your family traditions when they are older and their kids are being sucked into the marketing . . .

Flannery's family and mine celebrate in pretty different ways and I think we've finally found our own way among it all.