Sunday, March 16, 2008

Graham Cracker Meltdown-13wks5days


I pride myself with being a great patient while in the hospital. I mean, I'd better be nice or the employees may not help me, but today I had a complete meltdown in the ER.

It all began with my dire need for a pack of graham crackers.

My husband, Damon asked the nurse if I could have a pack of graham crackers. She proceeded to tell him that they can't give away graham crackers unless the patient has been in the ER four hours because of budget issues. What the...??? As if giving me a teeny-tiny pack of crackers is going to bankrupt their whole hospital!

Then she comes in and I ask again and she asked me, "Didn't you eat before you came?"

By that point I can feel myself unraveling, but I hold it together. I explain to her that while I did have breakfast before I came I was still hungry because I'm PREGNANT.

She turns away, in a funky little huff, and returns a few minutes later with SALTINES! When I asked her calmly for some f-in' graham crackers she then tells me that she thought I would like these better. Can you believe that? I really lost it then and told her that this was not my first pregnancy with hyperemesis and I really didn't need her telling me what I would like better and to get me the graham crackers!

I guess it's kind of funny now, but at the time, I really wanted to let loose some expletives and throw those stupid Saltines back in her face.

Whew...what a day.

1 comment:

Baby's family said...

Don't hurt anyone! I will get you a box to carry with you. Let us know how you are doing. Take care of you and baby.